Home tips for cleaning Gold and Silver jewelry
Many metals like gold and silver tend to change in color after some time of its usage and its original color cannot be retained back even by some jewelry cleaning method. To make gold and silver jewelry look brand new all the time, it is essential to keep them clean and dirt free.
Since gold is the most precious of all metals found in nature used both for ornamental purpose and for payment purpose. Gold and silver jewelry Due to your daily exposure to water, soap and dirt, it is quite natural that your jewelry tends to look dull and discolored therefore ?you need to know about cleaning the gold and silver jewelry.
Just like how the dust, pollution and grime affect skin and hair, so do they affect gold and silver ornaments. A few of the home based items can really do wonders for making your jewelry look like brand new.
1. To keep gold and silver jewelry shinning avoid wearing them in the pool or hot tub or when using chlorine bleach or cleaners because chlorine reacts with gold and silver jewelry, particularly at high temperatures and exposure to chlorine can permanently damage and discolor the jewelry. Keep both your skin and your gold and silver jewelry clean and free of oil.
2. If you want to clean gold and silver jewelry at home consider few steps before you start the cleaning process, first check that all your stones are fitted securely into the setting. When you begin the jewelry cleaning process, always gather the materials you require and sit at a table where there is ample light. Avoid being near the sink area.
Take simple soft and damp cloth to clean your jewelry. Wipe it over the stones.
3. For daily cleaning of gold and silver jewelry just use a simple jewelry polishing cloth that is impregnated with special jewelry cleaner. These are widely available and are very easy to use. Store your cloth in a plastic zip-lock bag, and keep in your jewelry drawer.
4. Due to regular use or in contact with cosmetics such as hand lotions and make up may cause a kind of a thin film on your gold and silver jewelry that leads to a formation of grime on your jewelry.
5. To clean lot of grime between the stone settings use an old, clean toothbrush and gently brush out the grime from the area.
Gold Jewelry cleaning tips :
?1. At times gold jewelry becomes dull just use a simple solution of warm water and add a few drops of ammonia to this. Use a soft brush to remove the tarnish that has formed over the gold jewelry. Once you have finished with the cleaning, rinse it well. Use a soft cloth to dry the jewelry.
2. To remove the grease from gold, you can dip it into ordinary rubbing alcohol.
3. The best way to clean gold is by using the jewelry cleaner that is available in jewelry stores. Dip it in the solution, rinse thoroughly in warm water and then rub it dry with a lint-free cloth.
4. Take a mild dishwashing liquid and put a few drops in 2 cups of warm water. Dip a lint-free cloth in it and rub the jewelry with the cloth. Within no time, your jewelry will be shiny.
5. If your gold jewelry looks very dark, it may need aggressive machine cleaning. Most jewelers have some type of automatic cleaning equipment, such as an ultrasonic, ionic or steam cleaner.
Silver cleaning Tips :
Silver jewelry is also amongst the kinds to get affected easily. Silver tends to tarnish easily besides if it is exposed to cosmetics due to regular use, it can tend to blacken as well.
1. Take a non-metallic container and use an aluminum foil to line the bottom. Fill this with hot water and add some washing soda. Place all your silver jewelry in this and ensure that they are in contact with the aluminum foil. Once the tarnish layer lifts off remove the jewelry from the water and use a soft cloth to wipe them dry.
2. Silver is a natural metal that oxidizes the longer it maintains contact with air. Rubbing with a simple polishing cloth over silver very often, the silver turns into shiny.
3. To remove dirt or sticky substances on silver jewelry, use a soft wet cloth and wipe it thoroughly and let it dry.
4. Silver jewelry can be cleaner using the non-abrasive silver metal cleaner that can be bought from any jewelry store. Just apply the liquid on the stains and gently rub with a lint-free cloth till it shines.
5. Clean silver jewelry with fluoride toothpaste by using just take a bit of paste in your finger and gently rub the silver with it. Take a soft cloth and rub gently to make it shine. Do not use toothpastes with anti-tartar or whitening properties.
6. To clean up old silver coins just wet the coins and dip it in some baking soda and clean it with an old toothbrush. This will take the tarnish off, and make your coin shiny without scratching it.
7. If silver is tarnished, use a silver-polishing cloth or a jar of silver-cleaning fluid, such as Goddard?s Silver Dip.
The most easy way to avoid spending too much time in jewelry cleaning would be to ensure you keep all your jewelry pieces separately and safely. This would also avoid the jewelry pieces from brushing against each other and causing further damage.
The pearls are quite delicate to handle and are very sensitive as well so be really careful while cleaning pearls and keep away from harsh chemicals to clean the same. Prepare a solution of soapy water and wet jewelry cloth and use it to clean the pearl jewelry. Once you have finished cleaning it, use a separate jewelry cloth to dry the jewelry.
To remove the dust from under the stone of your ring, you need to take cotton buds soaked in cologne or glycerin and wipe the stone. Then polish the ring with the soft cloth like flannel.
To clean diamond jewelry effectively, soak the same in a warm solution that should contain water and a really mild liquid detergent. Then, take a small soft brush to gently nudge the dirt out from the grooves and rinse the jewelry in warm water. Use a soft cloth that is free from lint to clean your jewelry.
But make sure that cleaning gold and silver jewelry at home can often include solutions that don?t suit cleaning of every type of jewelry. This is why you should look for jewelry cleaning service from time to time to make sure the cleaning of your jewelry is done in a safe way. Never use jewelry cleaning at home on extra delicate jewelry such as antique.